If you’ve ever seen the movie Field of Dreams, you’ve undoubtedly heard the phrase “If you build it, they will come.” With the late Joe Nuxhall looking down upon them, a community came together to build a real-life field of dreams, offering children and adults with special needs the ability to experience America’s favorite pastime – baseball. These players, who might not otherwise have the opportunity, are given the chance to be part of a team and cheer each other on as they round the bases and head for home.
If you haven’t visited the complex (and you are always welcome to), here’s an idea of what players can expect:
- Two rubberized fields made of a durable resilient surface that allow for wheelchairs and other ambulatory aids to be used safely
- Handicapped accessible parking with level sidewalks and ramps connecting each of the ball fields
- Covered dugouts with drinking fountains and cooling systems
- Handicapped accessible restrooms with state-of-the-art accommodations
- An electronic video scoreboard that features players at bat and offers advertising opportunities
- Stadium-style seating for families and spectators
- A state-of-the art playground for families to enjoy while at the fields
- The Park Pavilion which houses a concession stand, additional seating, press box and equipment storage
We look forward to seeing you at the fields!